Question / Issue
How do I configure the Substitute Teacher Module?
Answer / Solution
The Substitute Module is an additional feature that can be added to your TimeClock Plus installation to suit the needs of your organization. Modules are available for payroll export, special hour calculations, hardware additions, login settings, and more. This module allows for the tracking of employees that will be filling in shifts for regularly scheduled employees. It is commonly used in a school setting, but can apply in other instances where absences may need to be filled by qualified professionals.
The substitute module is configured primarily on the job code level. A job code can be set to require a teacher ID, as well as to determine what types of subs and locations are allowed to use this code. A subbed-for employee can then be configured with an employee type and a location.
For a more robust solution to substitute tracking that includes e-mail and SMS notifications of when positions are available and filled, speak to your account representative for more information on the SubSearch module.
Configuring Substitute Job Codes
- Select the job code you want to configure for use by substitutes by browsing to Configuration > Job Codes, selecting a code, then navigating to the Custom Fields tab. Custom fields are user-created fields that can be used to store extra information that may be needed for tracking and filtering purposes. Custom Fields are also sometimes added by certain modules for extra functionality.
- Under the Substitute Module section header, select Is Substitute in the Job Code Type
NOTE: For any job codes that may be marked as teacher leave, select Requires Substitute in the above field.
- Click on the Editbutton to configure the Allowed Employee Types for this job code. Employee types are created here by naming a type and clicking Add. Select one or more employee types to allow, and click on Select to add these to the list.
- If you wish to disallow certain employee types from use with this job code, click the Editbutton next to the Disallowed Employee Types field and add employee types via the Select
- Click on the Editbutton to configure the Allowed Campus/Locations for this job code. Locations are created here by naming the type and clicking Add. Select one or more locations to allow, and click on Select to add these to the list.
- If you wish to disallow certain campuses/locations from use with this job code, click the Editbutton next to the Disallowed Campuses/Locations field and add campuses/locations via the Select
- Click on the Savebutton to commit the changes to the job code.
- If you have not done so already, browse to Employee > Employee Profiles > Jobs for a substitute employee, Assignthe relevant substitute job code(s), and Save.
Configuring Subbed-For Employees
- Browse to Employee > Employee Profiles, select an employee who can be subbed for, then navigate to the Custom Fields
- Select the employees Employee Typeand Campus/Location from the dropdown menu, then click Save to commit these changes
Clocking in as a Substitute
- Log in and select Clock In.
- Select the relevant substitute job code.
- The system will check employee types and/or locations to create a list of employees you can substitute for. Select the desired employee and finish clocking in.