Question / Issue
How do I configure the Substitute Teacher Module?
Answer / Solution
The Substitute Module is an additional feature that can be added to your TimeClock Plus installation to suit the needs of your organization. Modules are available for payroll export, special hour calculations, hardware additions, login settings, and more. allows for the tracking of employees that will be filling in shifts for regularly scheduled employees. It is commonly used in a school setting, but can have other applications where absences may need to be filled by qualified professionals.
The substitute module is configured primarily on the job code level. A job code can be set to require a teacher ID, as well as determine what types of subs and locations are allowed to use this code. A subbed-for employee can then be configured with an employee type and a location.
- Select the job code you want to configure for use by substitutes in Configuration > Job Codes, then navigate to the Custom Fields.
Custom fields are user-created fields that can be used to store extra information that may be needed for tracking and filtering purposes. Custom Fields are also sometimes added by certain modules for extra functionality. tab.
- Under the Substitute Module section header, select Is Substitute in the Job Code Type field.
NOTE: For any job codes that may be marked as teacher leave, select Requires Substitute in the above field.
- Click on the Edit button to configure the Allowed Employee Types for this job code. Employee types are created here by naming a type and clicking Add. Select one or more employee types to allow, and click on Select to add these to the list.
- If you wish to disallow certain employee types from use with this job code, click the Edit button next to the Disallowed Employee Types field and add employee types via the Select button.
- Click on the Edit button to configure the Allowed Campus/Locations for this job code. Locations are created here by naming the type and clicking Add. Select one or more locations to allow, and click on Select to add these to the list.
- If you wish to disallow certain campuses/locations from use with this job code, click the Edit button next to the Disallowed Campuses/Locations field and add campuses/locations via the Select button.
- Click on the Save button to commit the changes to the job code.
- If you have not done so already, browse to Employee > Employee Profiles > Jobs Tab for a substitute employee, Assign the relevant substitute job code(s), and Save.
- Browse to Employee > Employee Profiles, select an employee who can be subbed for, then navigate to the Custom Fields tab.
- Select the employee’s Employee Type and Campus/Location from the dropdown menu, then click Save to commit these changes.
- Log in and select Clock In.
- Select the relevant substitute job code.
- The system will check employee types and/or locations to create a list of employees you can substitute for. Select the desired employee and finish clocking in.